In what was surely inevitable, Major League Baseball is teaming up with Game of Thrones for a big promotional hootenanny.
I came across this story this afternoon on the Twitters, where I first learned Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard will have a walk-on role on this season of Game of Thrones. (He was available to film in November because the Mets lost their sole play-off game hahahahahaha #soblessed.)
As a surprise to no one, I have some ideas on how to incorporate the Game of Thrones world into baseball games.
1. Introducing the players and their positions. Use the GoT music and title sequence to announce fielders, with each player having his own sigil and his position having a construction similar to places in GoT.
2. Quotes for different situations:
- Bottom of the ninth inning: “What is dead shall never die.”
- Substitutions, especially during the game: “His watch has ended.”
- Refer to a particularly brutal inning as the Red Wedding.
- Referring to the umps: “You know nothing, Jon Snow.”
3. Recite lineups like Arya Stark’s list of revenge.
4. DRAGONS! (I haven’t thought this one through yet.)
5. DIREWOLVES! (Ditto.)